Thursday, February 25, 2010

I want to glaze my walls (old world style) my walls have semi gloss paint, can I still do it?

sure. it'll be a little shiny, but that's fine. if you want a lesser sheen, paint another base coat on, as long as you have it all masked for the glaze coat. i would not use anything less than an eggshell sheen. an old world glaze is tough to get scuffs out, especially a flat sheen. i use a wood gel stain for my top coat. just mix it 50/50 with an oil based glaze. you can play with the ratio a bit, depending on the amount of variation you want. the wood stain gives it a bit more translucency. try a walnut/cherry mix over a light taupe. it turns out nice.I want to glaze my walls (old world style) my walls have semi gloss paint, can I still do it?
I am going to give you a really great tip.





I used to help a friend who was a decorator and I got this idea from one of her customers rooms.





You can use furniture stain and it will give you an awesome old world look and it costs very little.





Experiment with it on a board or wall that is in a closet first.





I did this on a wall in my house and it turned out great and I used a small can of stain in a mahogany color.





It does take some time to rub it in to get the look you want, but the effect it really nice; and it works well on top of gloss paint since it helps it slide around as you rub it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment