Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I use semi-gloss paint over flat paint? If I can't, what can I do?

I painted kitchen cabinet with flat paint and it chipped a lot. Can I use the semigloss paint to apply over it? If I can't , what can I do to take the flat paint off to apply the new paint?Can I use semi-gloss paint over flat paint? If I can't, what can I do?
You either have to take the old paint off, like sand it. Or before you put on a coat of semigloss you can paint on a primer coat. If the flat paint chipped I believe the semigloss will too.Can I use semi-gloss paint over flat paint? If I can't, what can I do?
not oil based semi gloss.


use water base.





If your other paints is chipping-it sounds like primer was not used or good quality primer.





Sounds like some sanding or stripping might be in order.
yes you can...I just used it in my kids room to cover the flat paint.
Painted kitchen cabinets? Not in my house. So ghetto looking. Have them redone or replaced with wood.
As long as you are not trying to paint latex (water-based) paint over alkyd (oil-based) paint, you will have no problems at all. Because the paint has chipped, it would be wise to chip away any loose paint and lightly sand the affected area so that your new paint goes on as flawless as possible. Good luck!
You can paint semi-gloss over flat.





You shouldn't paint over semi-gloss without first using a primer.
You can paint enamel over flat, but not flat over enamel. That's why your paint is peeling off. You have to prep the surface by a light sanding, or apply liquid sander (which is a whole lot easier). Have fun.
You have to sand the cabinets down so the new paint can adhear to the surface....
yea .... my mom did three years ago.... semi gloss is so much easier to keep clean

No comments:

Post a Comment