Saturday, February 27, 2010

Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?

I have a gallon of behr semi gloss white paint. I am painting my walls but I need a primer. Can I use that and then paint over with regular paint from behr that I would buy?Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?
No. Don't use a semi gloss paint or any other type of paint as a primer. Primer is like a glue. It sticks to your walls and covers up the old paint, but also give your new paint a surface to stick too. Primer also seals off any odors you might have and will allow you to use less paint to paint your walls. If you use the semi gloss paint your other paint will not stick to it. You would have to sand it down to get the glossy finish off.Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?
No, you can't. Primer has very different properties than wall paint. It's designed to seal the wall and give the new paint a good surface to adhere to. Semi gloss is one of the hardest paints to cover. The sheen makes paint slide around rather than stay where you apply it. This is why it's recommended that you prime over semi gloss before you paint it. Use the proper material for the job. If you have an Ace hardware store near you, they have Zinsser 1-2-3 primer on sale this weekend. Very good primer, excellent price. Hope this helps.
No - Primer is completely different from paint. I suggest Kilz primer. It has great coverage. Not to mention what you have is a semi gloss, which is shiny - can't use that as a primer.
YES. of course you can
Sure you can. Save a couple of $ as well.





Ian M

No comments:

Post a Comment