Thursday, February 25, 2010

Help my gloss paint wont dry. What shall I do?

I painted some shelves that were ready to paint from the shop. I used gloss paint that said do not stir. There was some dark liquid on top of the paint so I did not stir. Now paint is still tacky more than a day later. Do I have to strip it off or can I paint over it - with a different can of paint.Help my gloss paint wont dry. What shall I do?
Paint that says do not stir is thixotropic or non drip. If you stir it , then it goes liquid and may run and drip. The best way to deal with this is to stir in the liquid and then leave the paint to re-establish itself as a gel. Ideally though, store tins upside down, then any surface liquid will be at the bottom when you open the tin so you don't need to strir it.


Just leave your shelves, I am sure they will dry in time.Help my gloss paint wont dry. What shall I do?
Paint dries by absorbing oxygen from the atmosphere. Ralcalcitrant paint like this just needs a bit of encouragement by aiming a fan at it.
You should leave it in the sun to 'cook' for a few more hours.
You should have washed the shelves with sugar soap. And you should have given the tin of paint a good shake. Go back to where you bought it and explain they should be able to give you some remedy, because it's a mess now. You may have a claim as you did what it told you to do on the tin. Check the instructions it may have said shake do not stir if so no claim.





Good Luck.
It won't dry because there is not enough pigment for the gloss to adhere to. It will be sticky and never quite dry as if you varnished over a layer that hadn't dried. (same principle)





The dark liquid was the bonding agent that needs to be stirred down into the pigment. As the pigment comes up when stirred they bond together for form a gloss finish.
You always stir or shake paint. All you've done is ';paint the oils on. It'll take longer to dry. Stir the paint and paint them over so you get a proper coat.
put the heating on!

No comments:

Post a Comment