Thursday, February 25, 2010

I have semi-gloss paint on my walls and I want to paint a mural. Prep ideas? Paint/Sealer suggestions? Thanks?

What type of paint should I use? Should I sand the walls or primer first? What types of sealer can I use to make it permanent. Do you know of any website that can give me ideas?Thank you so much!I have semi-gloss paint on my walls and I want to paint a mural. Prep ideas? Paint/Sealer suggestions? Thanks?
A product called ';TSP'; (trisodium phosphate) sold in paint depts., hardware stores, building supply and many large box stores. It is ideal for cleaning and dulling the surface to paint over. It is available in boxes and tubs from 1 pound up to 10 or more.


Painters use this regularly for preparation of surfaces and it is a lot easier than sanding plus not nearly as messy. It can be used on any painted surface, walls, woodwork and trim.





The MOST important thing to remember is BE SURE to rinse (wipe down with clean water rags, mop, squeegee) to remove residue. Avoid getting on glass/mirrors-be sure to clean off.





It essentially un-glosses the surface, removes grease from cooking, smoke, stains, room sprays and allows the new paint to adhere to the surface. I've even used it to un-slick wall paneling/wood trims and painted over with ease.





TIP: A great laundry aide-it will remove grease and oil, smoke, many stains on washable fabrics. Use as a powder and a stiff brush dipped in water for the tuff guys first like paint on clothing, grass stains.





Once your mural is COMPLETELY dried-spray over with 100% clear acrylic which comes in matte(no gloss), satin(low gloss) or a high gloss finish. This will protect it, keep it cleaner and allow you to wash it without damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment